This week we continue going through our inbox, with questions that we get about text messaging. We’re focused on enterprise SMS, which is basically what happens when large businesses send out text messages. Yet, what is enterprise messaging really?
These messages might be alerts from banks with account information, or messages from restaurant chains alerting you to an updated menu or weekly special. Oftentimes these messages are from B2B companies, sharing targeting marketing content to prospects, such as links to videos or landing pages.
If you have a question about SMS or enterprise text message marketing that you’d like us to answer, send us a message through our contact form. We’ll answer as soon as we can.
How do you text professionally?
There are a number of things businesses of all sizes should be doing when they want to send out professional text messages.
- Use a text messaging service – SMS service providers like MessageWhiz can help you manage your SMS marketing with messaging platforms that have the tools you’ll need to create exceptional campaigns. In addition to getting you better rates, your SMS service provider should give you a better messaging experience.
Your service provider should have APIs, so you can integrate your messaging into your internal network.
If you prefer to use a dashboard instead of APIs, you provider should have a number of features on their platform that you can’t do through a phone, including:
- Contact list management tools
- Message templates
- Message analytics, like open rates, click rates, and other key data
- Messaging automation tools
- Message customization tools
- Start with an opt-in contact list – When you send out text messages to customers, make sure that the people on your list have opted in for your messages. For one thing, they will be more open to your message and won’t treat it like spam. Secondly, sending out messages to people who don’t want messages can cause you a lot of trouble.
When recipients report unwanted messages to you sent to their phone service provider, those companies often time will block your account, preventing you from sending messages to anyone.
In addition, sending out unsolicited text messages may be a violation of law, depending on the country you are in. The US, Canada, England and many other countries have laws prohibiting you from sending unwanted spam messages. Violating those laws could come with costly fines.
- Customize messages with the recipient’s name – let your customers know that they are important to you, by adding in personalization touches, such as their name or product lines that they are interested in.
- Share an unsubscribe link – As part of your message, be sure to give recipients the option to opt out of your messages.
What is the best mass texting service?
There is no one size fits all mass texting service. Different services have different features, benefits, and cost structures.
At MessageWhiz, we offer a comprehensive service, enabling our customers to send out mass messages to their customers. Our message rates are highly competitive, and our network allows users to send messages to nearly every country in the world.
Can you automate text messages?
Text automation is one of our favorite tools at MessageWhiz. You can set up automations based on just about any type of starting condition.
Here are some ways retailers are using automation to increase their sales.
- New customer signup – send out welcome text message with a discount offer
- Loyalty customer – send out points updates after purchases, or special, unpublished offers just for them
- Customer birthday or anniversary – congratulations message with a special birthday offer
- Abandoned carts – reminder that their cart is still waiting for them
- Item in stock – when requested, message is sent out notifying customer that the item they want is available
- Account confirmation – two-factor authentication messages
- Account change notice – alert when changes take place in an account to confirm that it is customer making those changes
We’ve seen other fun automations go out from different customers.
- On days when the weather drops below 30 degrees Fahrenheit, a travel agent automatically sends out messages to customers with deals on weekend getaways to tropical paradises
- On days when a local sports team scores a certain number of points, a bar sends out happy hour drink special messages
- When dry cleaning hasn’t been picked up after one week, customers receive a reminder that their clothes are ready
Text message automations can be triggered by any event, and can be sequenced, much like an email automation sequence.
Can small business use text messaging?
Text messaging works for businesses of all sizes, and is used in a lot of different ways. You can use it to provide customer support, coordinate logistics when delivering a product, or help a customer leave a positive review on an online site for you.
Text messaging is especially effective for small businesses that may lack resources, as responses to common questions can be automated and responded to through a chatbot. That way, when customers ask easy questions, your chatbot can let them know store hours, send a location, or tell them the status of their order.
The only difference between a small business and a large enterprise in regard to text messages is that large enterprises usually need to send more texts, as they are working with a larger population.
Got any more marketing text questions?
If you have any questions about using SMS for your next marketing campaign, visit our contact us page and let us know. We would be happy to answer any questions that you have, and offer you guidance for your next SMS marketing campaign. Until then, have a great day!